Monday, January 30, 2012

Samurai Champloo



Hey all! I know it’s been a long two years, but I’m back with
a vengeance!!!

So anyway, I’ve always been a big fan of anime, that just being my generation. I remember watching Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network’s "Toonami” segment after school. Or after that Yu Yu Hakusho, or some spin off of Gundam that they were running that year. Recently I ran into one that I just love! Samurai Champloo. Directed by Shinichirō Watanabe (of Cowboy Bebop fame) so I thought to myself, what isn’t going to be good about this series? Turns
out, it’s all good.

The show follows two vagabonds (Gin, a ronin with a sordid past and Mugen, a gun for
hire of sorts with an even more sordid past) who lose a coin toss to a waitress
(Fuu, a recently orphaned girl of 18… I think…) and must go on a quest with her
in search of a “Samurai who smells of sunflowers”. The story goes on through their
adventures from Edo all the way down to Nagasaki.

In watching the show I noticed an homage to Yojimbo in a two episode
series. Now I’m not going to tell which episodes or the situation, you valiant
fans of my blog should know off the bat after you see the first 5 minutes of
the episode which one I’m talking about. However, I will say that while it does
go along with the Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars plot line, the
writers played with it in a very fun anime way, or at least I thought so… and
this is my blog, so there!

Samurai Champloo is a must watch for any core anime fan, or just if
you want to see a really well done adult cartoon series. It not only is very witty
and fun, but also knows how to put drama into things—as well as a little
history.
PS the whole series is on youtube for free, and on netflix instant play, so there are
no excuses for not at least watching the first episode.
DV out…
but not for long! Oh, and if you’re really interested in the anime/manga thing
email me, I’ll get you a list of my top favorites. landshark172@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment